First suggestion(s)

Suggestions is more than welcomed. Discuss the changes you would wish to add to the forum, and we will act on it.
Mox
Original crew

First suggestion(s)

Post by Mox » Sat Apr 28, 2018 9:32 am

A few small things. See this image?

That mod-info clutters up the front page quite a bit. Is it really THAT important who mod each section? It feels like, to me, "Warning ye who enter here that XXXX mod this forum, beware!" and in those without mods listed, you can wreak havoc as you please. No, not really, right? I hope for nice, helpful and forgiving mods rather than some forum police eager to use their banhammer for any reason they can find, so i suggest a bit more discrete approach about whos the mod, whos the admin and all that. Imo, a user title or color-indication or star or similar could do, with the option for each mod to add to theiur signature "Moderator in the Home decoration and Gardening forum" or whatever they mod.

When posting images here, they are external. While that may be ok in a way, it's also a bit dubious. Let's say i OWN the site "imgur" (no i don't, but just let's say), i could collect ip's, browser info, could match it to the times and who reply and i could eventually lay a pretty good puzzle who's who, where they are from, google the ip and could with some "luck" connect it to other things. Yes, vpn is nice some times, but not all use it. What if i create a 1x1 pixel transparent gif as signature? I could essentially monitor the traffic to this site, everyone who view signatures and happen to load one of the (some time in the possible future) thousands of page where i've posted something.

Another little thing i'm missing here. I haven't really looked for it, but haven't seen it; Forum rules. Where are they?
How can a moderator, or even the admin, moderate without telling the user "You are hereby warned (#1 of max 3) for breaking rule number §1.a.5 - Creating a post with the letter E occurring more than 3 times."

PC_THE_GREAT
Core team

Re: First suggestion(s)

Post by PC_THE_GREAT » Sat Apr 28, 2018 11:53 am

For the moderator part, thati s inbuilt in phpbb. As for the rules, it is pretty relaxed right now. Just no racism, spam, etc.. and no illegal activities where illegal activities would be something illegal in the country or region I am hosting from (Europe), and the country am from (Mauritius). Common sense is the general rule here.

As for mods being able to ban, nopes, mods can't ban here. Mods can lock, soft delete, move and merge threads. As for the img includes, I wil investigate this by making a small log, whether user's ip is truly recorded, or if bbs.hackers.mu ip the one being recorded, hoping the server parses it and fetches it.

Again, I appreciate the time you are taking to give those suggestions.
+PC

Mox
Original crew

Post by Mox » Sat Apr 28, 2018 2:13 pm

hoping the server parses it and fetches it.
No such luck. You can see here where the client pulls it from.

The only way around it afaik is to upload and store images on the server, which may consume a lot of storage over time, and server bandwidth for delivering it.
Maybe you can modify the forum software to pull graphics, render the page on the server and then deliver it, but that would eat even more bandwidth as it must both pull and push images, it takes more processor and may delay pages very much, may possibly screw up graphics too if the site tries to optimise, reduce or otherwise re-render images.

Hosting the site in EU, you are familiar with GDPR? If not, hurry up reading that as the law goes active in less than a month.

The site is getting better and much better, there are avatars and they work, they moved to the left side which is good, we have "general chat" which i expect to be a popular place, there been some cleaning up in certain categories, "hardware" came up a few days ago, mail verification (tested?) and numerous other improvements.

There's one section "Virus and Antivirus" i react a bit on. Viruses barely exist anymore, it's nowadays more exploits, vulnerabilities in flash, java, tricking users into downloading pdf's or visiting .gq sites carrying malware etc, so how about naming it "Malware detection and cleanup" or something like that, as users aren't anyway allowed to post anything illegal or live malware in there.
The description "This will be heavily moderated, this is a public forum, so please stay mature, and remember that you we DO NOT want illegal items posted here" is then obsolete, simply by properly naming the category and the warning about heavy moderation will no longer be needed either, cause anyone posting malware will now more likely do it in one of the coding sections instead.
The text there that "this is a public forum" hints that there are private forums where malware distribution IS allowed, which i hope not. Additionally, there's a typo: ..."remember that you we DO NOT want"...

"Engineering", what's that category for? Can it merge into hardware? The description "hacking is not limited to just software!" makes it seem logical to do so.

"Olympiads"?? It's so long ago i did any coding, that if coding would be as illegal as murder is, they wouldn't be able to prosecute cause the prescription period ran out years ago. If olympiads is something relevant, just keep it, it only confuse me as i read it like sports related, the olympics, and if that's it i wonder why it's there.

Databases ?? No databases?

"Hackathons", doesn't that belong more under "competitions" than under "misc"? The only related post so far is in "announcements" btw, but that isn't my sort of stuff so i can only point at it and say "??".

The title "System administration" hints about server environments only, it's not for client os's? "How do i install firefox in windows 7", where do i post that? Doesn't feel like it belongs in troubleshooting either. That's why it's nice to have them stickies in each forum telling what you expect to see there.

Pirabarlen
Site Admin

Post by Pirabarlen » Tue May 01, 2018 9:51 am

Suggestions applied:
  • Permission fix
  • Disable img bbcode, enabled image upload and include in the mean time.
  • Renamed the virus forum
  • Forum description changed slightly
  • Database forum added
  • Olympiads renamed
  • Stickies, work in progress...
For the GDPR, I have started to work on a GDPR module for phpbb, they don't support that yet, gotta develop it, as a lot of users are complaining that phpbb should add this. Expect a few weeks for that, since I usually would code on this during sundays :p.

For the Engineering forums, got some university Engineering students who wanted to have those, hopefully it can prove to be helpful to many.

The image bbcode handler should be something I'll try to experiment on at a later time.

Thanks again for the suggestions, they were highly helpful. There are some more that you sent to me on pm, those are in the queue as well.

ps. I see that you still have the μ in your avatar!

Mox
Original crew

Post by Mox » Tue May 01, 2018 6:06 pm

Most of it is about not storing more data than absolutely necessary, then about regularly deleting (not just hiding) old or no longer useful data, and then about a users right to be forgotten.
True and I am working towards that as well. I have already went through the GDPR once at work!

Now, i'm not some sort of gdpr police, not even an expert in and about it, i post this only to help clarify what it's about and which requirements there are to stay legal after 2018-05-24.
Those are fair points, and is in the process of being addressed.

appinv

Post by appinv » Tue May 01, 2018 8:25 pm

an explicit i agree | i don't agree menu and a data usage policy page might advance things

Mox
Original crew

Post by Mox » Wed May 02, 2018 5:24 am

appinv wrote:
Tue May 01, 2018 8:25 pm
an explicit i agree | i don't agree menu and a data usage policy page might advance things
I don't understand the answer or what's referred to, but if "data usage policy" means gdpr, there's no choice about it, it's the law. Then ofcourse up to this site if it wants to stay legal or not.

appinv

Post by appinv » Wed May 02, 2018 5:26 am

yes gdpr and a page to explain how data is handled is necessary